About Our New-Grad Program
Since conception only 3 years ago, Spot has successfully onboarded and trained 10 new graduate speech pathologists, 7 of which still work at Spot today! We are on the search for the next round of grads to start with us in Dec 2021 – Jan 2022. If this timing doesn’t work perfectly for you, still get in touch with us, we would love to connect with you.
At Spot, we have proven that you don’t need years and years of experience to provide a top notch speech pathology service to your clients. How? Through giving you enough support, guidance, and the room to grow. Part of Spot’s core company goals is to “have the best therapists”. This doesn’t mean hiring the most experienced therapists – it means providing the BEST support, the BEST training, the BEST culture and the BEST job for you to thrive in – so that you can be your best, and give the best to the families that you serve every day.
We also have great opportunities for career growth and development, when you’re ready for that next challenge, or that next step in your career!
Here’s the Juicy Stuff
- We provide formal in-house training for all staff in Orofacial Myofunctional (OM) Assessment, diagnosis, therapy & case management
- High salary competitive with government & NGO’s
- Paid maternity leave
- Bi-annual “Spot Academy” retreats (see our Instagram for recaps of Spot Academy x 2 from Jan & July Jan 2021!)
- Daily supervision for the first month, twice-weekly for months 2 & 3, and compulsory weekly supervision for all staff past 3 months of employment to ensure you settle in and feel confident in your role
- Live & work anywhere – lots of flexibility in your role
- Grow as a professional along with our company
- Opportunities for internal promotions
- Bonus provided $$
- Take part in portfolio responsibilities – e.g. content development for social media, create handouts for clients
- Monthly team building, coaching & bonding
- Daily informal supervision & access to the entire team
- 50+ hours of in-house recorded telehealth professional development at your fingertips
- $1000+ yr individual PD allowance
- Additional $10k whole-team PD allowance for personal & professional development (including clinical training, team building & workshops)
What’s great about Spot?
- Work for a boss that is young, responsive & will listen to your feedback and requests. Nothing is off-limits and Heidi prides herself in practising full 360 feedback with all employees.
- Work closely with your team leader in small therapist teams where you feel safe to learn and ask “silly” questions (hint: no questions are silly!)
- Manage your own caseload with as much support as you need
- Flexible work hours – depending on your clients & caseload
- Quarterly performance reviews & collaborative goal setting with your team leader – coaching & support from experienced team members
- Work + travel (yes, this is possible!)
- All resources provided, including laptop & physical resources
- No germs! We love our clients, but we also enjoy greater workplace health & safety standards by controlling our own work environment & staying safe from bugs.
What’s great about the caseload?
We’re lucky to have a wonderful range of clients who call Spot home. We are 90% paediatric, 10% adults, but identify as “rural generalist” Speechies. We cover 2 hospitals, many schools, and many families all over Australia. Our therapists have the opportunity to develop their skills IN-HOUSE by;
- Training in Orofacial Myofunctional Therapy (OMT) & developing knowledge & skills in this special interest area
- Training and upskilling by senior Speech Pathologist with 20+ years of acute hospital experience in telehealth dysphagia competency
- Consolidating skills in paediatric feeding
- Delivering evidence-based synthetic phonics programs & high level literacy interventions.
- Taking a functional approach to the care of our NDIS clients who call Spot home – ranging from early intervention to adults with degenerative disease.
- Building your skills using AAC (via tele!)
- Consolidating your speech & language therapy skills using telehealth as a new & exciting service delivery method.
What’s great about you?
We really really would like our team members to have the following resources & qualities:
- Playful nature: you enjoy having fun!
- Strong team culture: we work as a team daily & have full transparency within our team. No lone wolves at Spot!
- You have a home office including mobile phone, internet, desk and chair
- Tech-savvy (not a whiz, but hopefully you know Zoom back-to-front & can learn new softwares quickly!)
- Experience or keen interest in tele-therapy
- Flexibility in clinical practice and confidence in clinical decision making
- Keen interest in learning new things & challenging traditional Speech Pathology service delivery methods
- Qualifications in Speech Pathology and own professional indemnity insurance
- Current Speech Pathology Australia (SPA) membership
- Medicare provider number
- Deep understanding of cultural and linguistic diversity within Australia
What your day will look like…
Depending on your experience, your day could look very different! We are a fast-growing company and take pride in shaping roles around the strengths and weaknesses of our team members where possible. Here’s a taste of a typical day in the life of a Spot Family Speechie:
- Wake up
- Commute to the home office (or to the Spot office if you live in Brisbane!)
- Start around 7-8 am, depending on your caseload
- You’ll do around 4-5 hours of therapy in the day. Realllly experienced therapists or keen beans might do 6 hours! 4-5 is required.
- You’ll need some help finding a resource & working out how to score an assessment, so you’ll quickly send a few (slack) chat messages to our therapist channel, and get a response from 7 amazing therapists from across the country giving you hot tips about where to find resources, links to awesome free websites and offers to help you with scoring Ax if you have trouble.
- You’ll do 2-3 hours admin, report writing, emailing. You’ll also have a lunch break (wherever you want it)
- You’ll set 2 tasks for admin to follow up on our project management software – you’d like her to send one of your kids some stickers, and you need to send some literacy cards to another client before next week’s session.
- You’ll probably spend 30 minutes on our company chat app (slack) talking to your work mates and learning about their latest favorite resources, participating in case reviews & giggling at our “random” channel when someone posts a hilarious video of their pet!
- You’ll then sign off around 4:30 – 5:30 pm, depending on when you started & what your week looks like.
Aren’t sure you want to apply yet? Contact us via email or phone & our CEO Heidi will have a chat with you!
Phone: 0488 754 053